Monday, May 6, 2013

How to Dye Human Hair Extensions

I bought these extensions forever ago just to use them to see if I really wanted to bleach my hair or not.  I'd bought a platinum one for that test and a hot pink one just for fun.  Since my hair is now usually blonde with a gazillion random colors in it, I don't really need them anymore, but I still decided to take them out, make them look nice since they'd been tossed in a bag of hair accessories, and play around with them.


I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but this is how I did it.  I used an eyelash comb, q-tips, Manic Panic in Atomic Turquoise, and plastic wrap.


First, I laid down a piece of plastic to protect the surface since Manic Panic does stain.  I used the lash comb to get the tangles out.


Then, using the q-tips, I slathered dye on one side, flattening the extension out as I went.


Then, when that side was done, I flipped the whole thing over and did the other one.


Then I wrapped it up to let it sit.  I didn't time it because Manic Panic can be literally left on overnight if you want, even on your own head.  I just left it in for a few hours.


Then, I unwrapped it and rinsed it.  I wanted it to be straight, but I was too lazy to get out my flat iron and it was still wet, so instead I laid it flat between some wax paper and did this:


Yep.  Just plunked a bunch of shit on top of it.  >.<


Later that evening it was dry, straight, and a gorgeous glossy blue!


Easy!

<3
WW

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'd never thought of doing this! Good to know it can be done, I'd love to add streaks to my hair, but not permenantly, so I might give little coloured extensions a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good alternative, though it does take a bit of fiddling to get the clips to lay somewhere the clip is hidden but the color doesn't get lost under the rest of your hair.

      Delete